Montreux, "Pearl of the Swiss Riviera" is a famous resort town on the edge of Lake Geneva.
Montreux tourism site
The nearest major airport is Geneva (GVA). If that's expensive for you, try London or Amsterdam and separately book to Geneva through easyJet. There is a convenient train station in the Geneva airport with frequent service to Montreux (walk left after customs, then look for the red logo below). This trip takes ~80 minutes, but check below for exact timetables and platform. Swiss trains nearly always run on time!
Trains to Montreux
Other airport possibilities are Zurich (~3 hrs), Milan (~3 hrs), or Paris (~4 hrs).
The conference will be held above the Casino Barriere de Montreux,
in a hall with huge windows overlooking Lake Geneva.
Rue du Theatre 9
tel:+ 41 21 962 83 83
See hotel information.
- The dominant language in Western Switzerland is French.
- This local map of Montreux (pdf) will be useful for walking around, but don't rely on it for a complete list of hotels or restaurants. The Casino is shown in the lower right by the lake, and is a 10 minute walk from the train station.
- Switzerland is not part of the European Union and
has its own currency. One Swiss Franc is typically worth around 80 US cents (CHF/USD rate) or 63 Euro cents (CHF/EUR rate).
- Information about Switzerland
- Montreux weather in late October is usually pleasant and sunny, although it may be cool or foggy near the lake. See the forecast for western Switzerland.