Late Breaking Information for UIST'98 10/25/98
Joint opening reception with AR workshop NEW
Roundtable on Augmented Reality and
Perceptual User Interfaces
Napa Valley and Wine Country Tour NEW
Fieldtrip to Aaron Marcus & Associates
More Hotel Info NEW
The UIST '98 opening reception is jointly sponsored by the First IEEE
International Workshop on Augmented Reality. They will have concluded
their one-day meeting and will meet with arriving UIST
attendees in the world famous Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel. From
5-7, we will dine on an array of dim sum specialities and enjoy Mai
Tais by the lagoon!
Joint Opening Reception
On Wednesday morning, we will have a special session to hear about the
two workshops affliated with UIST '98. This discussion will be a
unqiue opportunity to hear about exploratory work in these up and
coming research areas:
Roundtable on Augmented
Reality and Perceptual User Interfaces
- Perceptual UI: Where Are We and Where Are We Going? by
Matthew Turk, Ken Hinckley, George Robertson, Microsoft Research
- Enabling and Utilizing Augmented Reality Reseach and
Technology by Reinhold Behringer, Rockwell Science Center
There will be a Sunday excursion to the Napa Valley and Wine Country
including wine tasting!! The trip will involve a 90 minute drive each way
and will likely run from 10:30-5:00 including a stop for peole to buy
lunch. The cost is estimated at $25-$35 per person; wine tasting and
lunch will be in addition.
Napa Valley and Wine Country Tour
Check back HERE for details and information on how to register!!
Aaron Marcus and Associates, Inc. has extended an invitation to UIST
'98 attendees to visit their design studio on Tuesday, Nov 3rd from
7:00-8:30pm. The visit will include an overview by Mr. Aaron Marcus,
President of AM+A, together with demonstrations of the following projects:
Fieldtrip to Aaron Marcus &
AM+A will serve light refreshments.
- The development of applications for SABRE's on-line travel
- The design of the Unigraphic Solutions' HTML based tutorial.
- The user-interface design of a database-driven dynamic publishing
tool for Elixir Technologies, Inc.
- Patient and doctor database access for Kaiser Permamente's
in-house health providers.
- Web-based database access for a large federal financial institution.
- The user-interface design and art direction of animations for
Cogito, Learning Media's Eye-To-Mind visual primer series.
- Web-based user-interface design prototype for corporate banking
services for Bank of America.
NOTE: Space is limited to the first 40 persons who sign up. Symposium
participants interested in attending should sign up as early as
possible at the registration desk. Bus transportation between the hotel
and AM+A will be provided. Conference attendees intending to visit AM+A
should meet the bus outside the Fairmont Hotel at 6:30 pm. The bus will
return to the hotel at approximately 9:00 pm.
More Hotel Info
- The business fax # for the hotel is (415) 837-0587 OR (415) 837-0588.
Please have all faxes directed to these numbers.
- Smoking is only permitted in specific hotel rooms and in portions
on the hotel lobby. Smoking will NOT be permitted at any UIST '98
- The Check-in time is 3:00pm and check-out is 1:00pm.